You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Thanksgiving Day Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

Thanksgiving Day Ghost

 

A few years ago I was at my parents' home for a family dinner on Thanksgiving Day. This is the house I grew up in, and have never experienced anything paranormal. What happened to me this day was very surprising, and still bothers me to this day.

I spent the early part of the day helping my mother in the kitchen preparing dinner. We were laughing and talking and looking forward to sitting down to eat with the whole family. While making pumpkin pies my mother needed a break from the heat of the kitchen and went into the living room to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. I stayed in the kitchen and continued to work.

While making the pies, I needed to go to the pantry to get some ingredients. The pantry is located down a short hallway connecting the kitchen with the back of the house. I grabbed the items I needed and headed back to the kitchen. I was almost back to the kitchen when I remembered that I forgot to grab something and quickly pivoted around to head back to the pantry. To my shock there was a man standing near the area I just was. It must have been 2-3 seconds (even though it felt like forever) and then he was gone. I have never seen this man before, but I can remember he was wearing overalls and a hat. The most disturbing thing for me was it seemed as though he reacted to me. It was like he was either shocked that I saw him or he was shocked to see me.

After seeing this man I decided not to tell my mother or father. It wasn't until months later I finally felt comfortable enough to tell my mom about it. She was interested but said she never had anything unusual happen to her in the 35 years she lived in the house. I know what I saw. I know he was there. My question is why? Who is he? Why did I see him?

In my 28 years of living and now visiting my childhood home. I have so many great memories. But the 2-3 seconds on that Thanksgiving Day seems to be burned into my mind more than anything else I have experienced in the house.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, kenglish, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Nick1195 (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-14)
Hi I have seen many ghost in my life ever sence I was 6 years old and even had a friend who was a ghost when I was 7 years old and ghost get scared becouse some don't whant you to see them or they are scared of you.
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-26)
Hi kenlish, I had the same experience in my aunt's house with a ghost that was shocked that I've seen him. I might be wrong but I think it could be that he is there for years un noticed by humans, and all of a sudden out of the blue you saw him and he couldn't believe that actually he is been seen by someone. I don't think he means any harm. He might have stayed in that house and is just lost in a way between two worlds. Thanks for sharing. Trix ❤
Vikstal (4 stories) (64 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-24)
Where there any clothes nearby? Maybe that confused your brain and made you think you saw something. Or it could have been the things in the pantry that were placed so that the brain got confused.
butthead (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-23)
is a chance it could be a relative since it was thanksgiving... My grandfather gave a similar experience on christmas day in our house. ❤
kenglish (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-22)
Wow! Thanks for the possible explanations! These are all things I never thought about. The house was built in the early 1920's (I think) and my family has been there for 35 years. I guess it is very possible that there is some energy from the past crossed over to the present. It's still very strange to think about, but I sincerely thank everyone who has tried to help me make some sense of it!
DCinAZ (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-22)
I agree with cosmogal and jazzeyjay on this. Before reading the comments I was at a loss for a suggestion but their theories make perfect sense. (I actually had an experience similar to yours but in reverse) ❤
jazzeyjay (3 stories) (215 posts)
+2
14 years ago (2010-10-22)
Cosmogal926 had a very good explanation. Sometimes the atmosphere is just right and this allows these things to occur just as they did before. He was able to cross over into our dimention. I have heard stories of people walking into a room that they have been in lot's of times, but on this certain day or night when they walked into the room, the room was no longer there it had been transformed into something else like a morgue or surgery room or something. It's strange how that happens, but it does happen and they are all around us. This man is probably associated with the land itself and not the house. For your mother to have lived there for as many years as she did and you grew up in the home and not experience anything like this it was just random, he is no doubt probably a wandering spirit. Had he have been there all while you were a child growing up in the house, you would have seen or sensed him.

Thank you for your story.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-10-22)
This might be an extremely long shot, but I was thinking maybe it could have been a moment when the past and the present overlap. You could see this man and he could see you which could explain the shock to both of you. Also, you mentioned that while growing up in the house you never experienced anything and neither have your parents. Anyway that is just my theory. Thanks, and take care 😊 ❤
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-22)
he reacted towards your seeing him. Either he was surprised to be able to see you, or he was surprised that you were able to see him. Something tells me, he was shocked that you were able to see him. He somehow put himself out there enough for you to see him. This look of surprise is very common--when a person has an experience like yourself. These entity's, I believe, are not supposed to show themselves to the living... Just what the heck is going on over there anyway?
moomoomilk (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-22)
Hmm... Maybe he was a spirt stuck in the between. Do you know if he could have been a relative.
How old is the house? Do you know the history of the house? Whatever it was I hope you don't have to encounter anything like it again, God bless you + Good luck ❤
MMM xo
rath9375 (1 stories) (52 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-22)
I may have just had that perfect line for that few seconds to see him. I believe that spitits are all around us and even those of h=us who can see them on a regular basis don't see all of them.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: