You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Midnight Drive

Real Ghost Stories

The Midnight Drive

 

It was winter of 1984. I was waiting for my classes in medical school to start. I had gone vacationing to a hill station, about 250 miles from my home town. My mother was with me and I was driving my car myself. After staying there for about three days, we wee returning home. We left during late evening hours.

My mother had spent her youth in that region, and she knew a shortcut to our hometown. Upon her suggestion, I took that. However, it did not prove to be a good idea as it was almost midnight when we reached a part of the road which was single and was hardly used by anyone. It was cold outside and the road was edged by thick bushes on both sides. So thick were the bushes that no one could enter them without getting hurt. My mother fell asleep on the front seat while I was driving quite vigilantly. Suddenly I saw a man coming out of the bushes, almost naked and raised his thumb as if he wanted a lift. However, I did not stop and the car zoomed by him.

However, a realization came to my mind immediately. It was so cold outside in the month of January but the man I just saw was wearing just a small lungi (a type of loin cloth worn by village guys in my country). Also, the bushes on the sides were so thick that nobody could go in or out of those easily or without getting hurt. I immediately looked in the back view mirror... I saw the center of the road in flames. Despite being my claims of being fearless, I was shivering and I drove the car over the ton. My mom woke up and I told her what happened. I was not able to find a logical explanation of the scene. Maybe someone reading this can! Thanks for your time.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Bhaloo, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Rajine (14 stories) (866 posts)
 
2 months ago (2024-06-26)
That would scare anyone, myself included, I've heard a few supernatural stories over the years involving spirits turning into flames. It's hard to say exactly what it was that you experienced perhaps if you know the history of that place and if someone had died there.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (847 posts)
 
2 months ago (2024-06-26)
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." Mark Twain.

Some situations just do not have a logical explanation.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3178 posts)
 
2 months ago (2024-06-26)
Welcome to YGS.

This is an intriguing story.
In my country, Mexico, some people believe that witches have the ability to turn into balls of fire and fly through the skies.
Are you aware of a similar belief within your culture?

A possible logical explanation could be spontaneous human combustion, in which a person burst into flame for no apparent reason. Though rare, there are some documented cases of this phenomenon.

Thanks for sharing this unnerving experience.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: