You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Spirits On The Old Banyan Tree

Real Ghost Stories

Spirits On The Old Banyan Tree

 

I did not know if what I experienced is what people of the Ryukyu Island considered as Kijimuna, a child like spirt which is red in color. But I am going to share it because what I experienced was similar to stories told by people as an urban legend about Kijimuna.

This is actually a continuation of the previous story about me and my friend during a trip at Okinawa.

The last time we met a Yuta, this time we met a local tour guide who knew English very well, he is a local photographer and knew lots of histories of Okinawa and some local legends.

So we came to a spot where used to be a holy land of Kijimuna, they are claimed to live on old Banyan Trees and it is kind of like a tree fairy? But much more human like.

"So, this is the oldest tree around" said the tour guide " you'll be able to see Kijimunas if you are really lucky" the tour guide laughed.

"Hey, Kinko-san, is Kijimuna a 1 being or are they like a group spirits?" I asked. My friend dropped her head down as if she failed to stop me.

"They are groups I believe, they are like kids... You know about Zashiki-warashi?" The tour guide replied and asked me "zashiki-warashi... A child spirits living in old houses?"

I answered, " yep!"

"And you know that they are believed to bring good luck to the house owners" the tour guide said.

"Oh, is it? I am not too sure about that part because I haven't meet one yet" I replied.

The tour guide laughed and continued " See kijimuna is like the Okinawa version of Sashiki-warashi, if you are liked by one you'll be wealthy. But if you are hated by one, it's going to be dangerous. I have a story to share if you wish to hear that" said the tour guide. I was not too interested since I kind of felt that it is just an urban legend like any UMA or whatever unidentified creatures.

That night we stayed in a hotel nearby the Banyan forest (the holy land of Kijimunas) our room was at the second floor where we can see the forest from our veranda.

My friend was at the veranda smelling the night air, feeling the wind (no, I did not meant to be poetic) while I am in the room checking our flight schedule back to Hokkaido.

"Neh, Ryujin come here!" My friend called me. I walked to the veranda and looked at where she was looking.

"Good view?" I asked.

"Very, but look there! Do you see that tallest banyan tree there?" She asked. There were no wind and yes, I see that only one tree was moving as if someone is climbing on it.

"hmm... Yes I see that. Is it a forest ranger though?" I asked. "There is no such job in Japan!" She said.

She is right and it could not be kids or any one around the place because there is no houses around but our hotel.

"Hmm... But it looks like that some one is there and it will be strange for only one tree to move if there were any wind, but it is stuffy tonight... Too hot without the AC... Let's close the window shall we?" I researched for some night creatures around the area. The results were some wild cats and reptiles, all miniature in size and will not be able to shake the tree that way. "Maybe if we go there now we will be able to see the Kijimuna," I laughed and switched off the lights to sleep.

That night my friend and I both woke up hearing some footsteps outside our hotel. "Stay in the room, I'll go to the veranda to see who that is" I said to my friend. My friend stayed in her bed. I looked out the veranda and heard someone singing a Japanese nursery song. It sounded like a group of young girls or children? And I also heard some crying noises which sounded like some kind of cats. "Wild cats?" I thought. But I could not really explain about the nursery song.

The next day I asked the tour guide that if there are anyone living nearby and also if there were any kids or young girls as customers. "No, this season is too early for family with kids, also, young people will not come here especially local people, it's far away from the city" he answered.

So I told him what happened last night. "Well... Sometimes people from outside of Okinawa will come here at night to do night touring in the forest... They need a very experienced person or two to guide them though or else it's going to be dangerous... Well I will call the city's security team to have a look there don't worry" the tour guide replied.

Not that tour? In a banyan forest? I am kind of iffy about that, but what about the nursery song? Who was singing a nursery song during a midnight?

And the footsteps? Well, we actually went to see if there is strange foot prints around during the morning, nothing is there...

What do you guys/gals think? Is it Kijimuna or something spiritual? Or is it just some wild animals?

Other hauntings by blosomes

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, blosomes, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

blosomes (20 stories) (120 posts)
 
4 weeks ago (2024-08-12)
Kent
Thanks for coming back!
And... Well ZashikiWarashi is a Japanese myth really, original maybe some hidden children when back in the time people are chased to pay tax according to each person in the household.
I have heard lots about stories related to banyan trees too. Some are quite creepy. 🤔
KenS80 (1 stories) (44 posts)
+1
4 weeks ago (2024-08-10)
I need to find a Sashiki-warashi and hope he likes me so I'll be wealthy Blossome.

I have been told by a few people I look like Rick Springfield. I had to google him. Maybe if Sashiki-warashi likes me enough I could request looking like a modern day heart throb like Tom Cruise. (⁠*⁠_⁠*⁠)

All these Banyan tree myths are becoming very commonly told. I have read a couple just recently and that's why yours caught my eye.

It will be interesting to find out what is actually going on. I'll keep an eye out on the comments here to see what others think.

Cheers,
Kent *⁠⁠0⁠/⁠*
blosomes (20 stories) (120 posts)
 
2 months ago (2024-07-08)
Rajine
Sorry, was on a trip. Hopefully I will be able to post a new story soon.

True that. Now, that I remember I was having strange dreams that I always jumped up and for gets what it was but I felt that my grandmother was in the dream was saying something about my father. Yes, I texted my father for that, alittle "Wow" now that I think about it, and I wish to remember what I dreamt about.
Rajine (14 stories) (866 posts)
 
2 months ago (2024-07-05)
That could be a possibility, everything does happen for a reason, I believe that there's always a higher power out there pulling the strings and working in mysterious ways.
blosomes (20 stories) (120 posts)
 
2 months ago (2024-07-05)
Rajine
OK... 🤔
Maybe it makes sense now
Not saying that it is kind of too "coincidence-y" but maybe the beings around me wanted me to help out my father? 🤔
Rajine (14 stories) (866 posts)
 
2 months ago (2024-07-04)
Blosomes
I think you were meant to meet the yuta, going by your previous story regarding your dad and grandmother, the extra spirit encounters were just an added bonus, depending on how you feel about it.
blosomes (20 stories) (120 posts)
 
2 months ago (2024-07-04)
Rajine
Well, going to Okinawa was a plan 😳
But not meeting Yuta and experiencing spirits 😁
Hmm... 🤔 I am not too sure if I will attract any spirits though
Rajine (14 stories) (866 posts)
 
2 months ago (2024-07-03)
Hi again blosomes

Well it stands to reason that by going to Okinawa and specifically the spot where the Banyan tree is, you probably attracted some of the local resident spirits there.
blosomes (20 stories) (120 posts)
 
2 months ago (2024-07-03)
Rajine
Indeed, I know that eastern cultures old trees and big trees stands an important position, not surprised if banyan trees are the same.
Hard to explain but I kind of feel like it is not the "normal" spirits that I experienced in the past.
Rajine (14 stories) (866 posts)
 
2 months ago (2024-07-02)
Hi blosomes

Banyan trees have a deep rooted (literally and figuratively) importance in Eastern cultures with many stories and spirits attracted/attached to it, I think it could be the kijimuna, I mean I don't think animals can sing nursery rhymes, but I'm not to certain about crying noises though, perhaps a spirit was just adding acoustics to the nursery rhyme singing.
blosomes (20 stories) (120 posts)
 
2 months ago (2024-07-02)
RCRuskin
Interesting hey?
I contacted the Yuta to ask for her opinion but she says it is better no to ask anything yet 🤔 Yet?
RCRuskin (9 stories) (847 posts)
+1
2 months ago (2024-07-01)
It is definitely something. Foot steps could only be seen on the balcony if there was something to receive the impressions of footfalls. This is why flour is often sprinkled on floors to pick up footsteps. Do wish you had some video of the banyan tree waving around in the nonexistent breeze.:)
blosomes (20 stories) (120 posts)
 
2 months ago (2024-06-30)
Linjahaha
Thanks for commenting!
Well if they are spiritual there is a chance that I could not see them because I am not channeled to see them right? I know that part but we see no trace and it was not only me who have experienced such
Linjahaha (24 stories) (161 posts)
+1
2 months ago (2024-06-30)
blosomes: I know that many places in the region are extremely spiritual. It's hard to comment on exactly WHAT it is. I'm positive wild cats are unable to sing a nursery song. This is perplexing, but a very good read. I hope someone far more informed than I can answer your questions. Good luck!

Take Care! 😊 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: