You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Dad's Visitation

Real Ghost Stories

Dad's Visitation

 

After a long battle with Parkinson's related dementia and cancer, my Dad lost the fight in early July of this year. I had just visited with him a week before and he gave me no indication of knowing who I was. He became, quite literally, a shell of his former self. As his daughter it was very hard to watch.

While I live in Arizona, and Dad lived in Massachusetts, what I'm about to relay happened while I was in Amsterdam. Two weeks after Dad passed, I was visiting Amsterdam. A year ago I had planned a trip to Europe, not realizing my Dad would be leaving right before that trip. At the urging of my family, I still took the trip. They convinced me it was what Dad would want me to still do. After all, he was a world traveler himself.

During my final night in Amsterdam, I had fallen into a deep sleep, woke up once around 4am to use the bathroom, and then went right back to bed. I suddenly found myself standing at the edge of an old cobblestone bridge. I was waiting expectantly at the end for someone when suddenly a man came into view. He was surrounded by people of varying heights and ages. As he came closer, I could see the man in the center was my Dad. The people surrounding him were different versions of himself throughout his life. I saw Dad as a toddler, a teenager, a young man, a middle-aged man, and finally, an old man (which is what he was when he passed at 78). As he drew closer, all but the middle aged version of him and the old man version remained. The other images disappeared.

The middle-aged version of Dad appeared healthy and happy. He smiled brightly when he saw me. The old man version remained in the back and did not acknowledge me at all or make eye contact. But the healthy, happy version of Dad seem to be lit from within. He gazed at me like someone who hadn't seen a loved one in a very long time. He embraced me and then gasped in what sounded like relief. Other than that, he didn't say a word. It was okay though. His smile said it all. I hugged him back and was happy to feel that he wasn't all bones like he was a few weeks prior.

I could see the outfit he was wearing; gray mock turtleneck with a navy windbreaker, and jeans. I'm not sure why I remember that outfit. It's not something I recall him wearing in life.

As quickly as it started, the dream was over. I knew when I woke up that this was no ordinary dream. This was a visitation. After leaving Amsterdam, I flew back to the Boston area for services. I let my sisters know of what I had dreamt and that I really felt Dad was alright. I relayed the event with tears in my eyes and could barely speak recounting it. My middle sister recently told me she dreamt of Dad too. He appeared, also middle-aged (when I believe he was the happiest) and healthy. He spoke to her but she couldn't remember what he said. My youngest sister is still hoping for a visitation as well and wondered if he chose to visit us in order of our ages. I really do hope she will be next on his list of visitations.

Thanks for reading.

Other hauntings by DreamBird

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, DreamBird, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

DreamBird (8 stories) (27 posts)
 
6 days ago (2024-09-10)
All,
Thank you so much for your comments. I got very busy at work and have been meaning to get back here to read your comments and reply, like I said I would.

It's neat to know some of you have had the same experiences, which helps validate my encounter. I meant to mention that there was music in the background and it was Lana Del Rey's "Lost at Sea" that was playing. Oddly enough I had been on a cruise ship and Amsterdam was the last stop. I haven't heard that song since that dream but I'm bracing myself for when I do.

Thank you again for reading and commenting.

-DreamBird
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1566 posts)
+1
2 weeks ago (2024-09-01)
Hi Dreambird, By what you are describing, it sounds like you have experienced what they refer to as a Lucid dream. There are physical dreams or what Edgar Cayce refers to as states of superconsciousness. (most NDE's are on this level)...There are many accounts of people describing seeing their loved ones look younger. My father crossed over at 61 and looked 21 when I saw him outside my room.

My mother crossed over at 69 and looked 40 when I was blessed enough to see her as well... I have also seen them in dreams and yes, our loved ones do visit us in our dreams, I hope my post validates your intuition.

Thanks for sharing.
Rajine (14 stories) (875 posts)
 
2 weeks ago (2024-08-30)
Hi DreamBird

Indeed a heart-warming incident, I can't begin to imagine having to go through watching a loved one become ill like that, but I hope you take comfort in the fact that your dad is in a good place now, free from bodily and worldly constraints.

Do let us know if your youngest sister does get a visitation from your dad, looking forward to reading about it.
Tweed (36 stories) (2526 posts)
+1
3 weeks ago (2024-08-29)
DreamBird, big hugs to you and your dad! ❤

What a beautiful visitation. You were literally visited by ALL of your father. It sounds like he's at peace with all the versions of himself and times during his lifetime which lead to that moment on the bridge.
One thought about his clothing, could it have represented Amsterdam or your trip in general? Perhaps a nod of approval in the form of an outfit.

Thank you for sharing, wishing you and your family all the best. ❤
blosomes (20 stories) (123 posts)
 
3 weeks ago (2024-08-29)
Oh my...
This makes my eye warm... 😢
Sorry for your lost...
Its happy to know that your father went away happily though.

Sending Love ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: