You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Arp Warden

Real Ghost Stories

The Arp Warden

 

These events took place in SE London, back in the 1980s.

A long time ago, when I was dating my ex-husband, he was living in a dingy basement flat that was so damp a previous tenant had actually nailed the wallpaper to the wall!

I was OK going there for the first couple of weeks, until I needed to go to the loo one lovely, sunny afternoon. I duly trotted upstairs to the (revolting) bathroom shared by all the tenants. So far, so good! Coming backdown I saw a man in a WWII ARP Wardens uniform looking out of the window at the back of the first floor of the house. For those who don't know what the ARP was, it was a group of very brave men and women who patrolled the streets at night (when most of the air raids took place) as Air Raid Precaution Wardens. Part of their job was to tell people whose blackout blinds/curtains were not totally lightproof to cover their windows (like Hodges in Dad's Army) and also to sound warnings and generally try to protect people when an air raid took place by getting them down into the public bomb shelters or into their own bomb shelters. This was all after doing a full day's work, as well!

Anyway, I digress. My ARP warden was standing and looking out of the window at two children and their parents (the father was wearing a Royal Navy uniform) playing with a ball in the back garden. He was totally focused on the little family and then started shouting and banging on the window, trying to get the family to the safety of the Anderson shelter in the garden (this was an upside down U shape with a hole underneath it big enough to take the residents of the house and was made from corrugated iron supported by wooden supports and covered over with earth, where families often grew vegetables!). The warden turned around and went to the top of the stairs and promptly vanished, but I did hear footsteps running down the stairs very fast. When I looked out of the window, to see if he'd made it to the back garden, the family had vanished, and all was quiet in the garden.

I saw them quite often after this and, of course, it piqued my interest about what had happened in the house. I went to the local library and into the local history department. There I found out that a bomb had landed on the house behind the house my ex was living in. The family had been killed by debris raining down on them and the subsequent fire. My ARP warden was also killed as he ran out of the house in an attempt to get the family into their air raid shelter. I found it very sad especially as the family in the garden were really enjoying their time together, possibly whilst the father was home on leave. I saw this played out three times in all and each time I felt tears welling up, knowing that all of them died - even now, remembering it after all this time, I still have tears in my eyes.

This house threw up another 'something' but to stop this becoming War & Peace, I'll write about it in another post.

Thank you for reading this, and I'm happy to answer questions about this haunting.

Other hauntings by tigerfeet

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, tigerfeet, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Limey (3 stories) (36 posts)
 
1 month ago (2024-07-27)
Thank you again Tigerfeet. You have piqued my curiosity. It would be quite satisfying to know if their copy is the same as mine, or even a different edition. They might even know how many were printed. Quite a few I would imagine. I will try to get in touch with the library and let you know.
tigerfeet (5 stories) (18 posts)
+1
1 month ago (2024-07-26)
Hi Limey

The book is in the library collection at University of Kent, where I did my degree in history - as a mature student. They also hold the national collection of cartoons which is well worth a look. In their WWII collection they have things like the National Statistics which was a selection of 'ordinary' people, usually housewives and women working in the factories who were asked to write down things such as what was for dinner and if their rations were enough for a family - it does make for interesting reading!
Limey (3 stories) (36 posts)
+1
1 month ago (2024-07-26)
Thank you Tigerfeet. I remember those bomb sites very well, and of course the bomb shelters, so many of which are still around. One more comment about the Air Raid Warden; the daytime bombing of London stopped early on in the war because the enemy losses were so high. So your sunny afternoon vision would indicate it was from that time. And may I ask which university you were at? I would like to contact the library to see if their book is the same as mine. (I try not to think of Dick van Dyke's attempt at a cockney accent. Too painful).
tigerfeet (5 stories) (18 posts)
 
1 month ago (2024-07-26)
Hi Rajine
I think about the family and the ARP Warden a lot, how happy the family were and how the Warden must feel because he couldn't save the family. I hope that he realises that he did as much as he could to try and save the family and himself. In my opinion he should have had some kind of posthumous acknowledgement, but at the time so many people gave up their lives and they were not all recognised for their sacrifices.

I really hope that the family and the Warden have been able to move on to a happier place, maybe to meet their families, born before and after them.
tigerfeet (5 stories) (18 posts)
 
1 month ago (2024-07-26)
Hi Linjahaha

It was extremely upsetting and emotional to see. I think I was badly affected because of the age of the children - around 2 and 4 - and the fact that the family were so happy at that moment in time. Who knows, that could be why they are re-enacting this wonderfully happy time of their lives.
tigerfeet (5 stories) (18 posts)
 
1 month ago (2024-07-26)
Hi Limey - This happened in around 1982, and I moved away from London shortly afterwards. I have, I'm afraid, no idea whether the house is still there, but there was a lot of modernisation going on in the area - in fact there were still a substantial number of bomb sites in the area that were slated for redevelopment. As this was with my ex-husband, I have no connections in the area anymore to ask.

I've seen a very precious copy of your ARP book when I was at university - you have to book an appointment with the librarian to see the book and it's only handled with white gloves on!

Hi accent was pure south-east London - working class but not quite cockney and definitely not a Dick van Dyke cockerney accent!
tigerfeet (5 stories) (18 posts)
 
1 month ago (2024-07-26)
Hi Bergraff - It was a profoundly sad experience, made worse by witnessing it again.

Hi Lady-glow - the house had an unusual feeling, like a lot of bad things had happened there, and it was very 'loud' as well. It felt like lots of radios were off channel with only a few words getting through occasionally. I am also convinced that the ARP warden and the family were a residual haunting, maybe bought about by their sudden and violent deaths - but that is pure supposition by myself.
Rajine (14 stories) (866 posts)
 
1 month ago (2024-07-25)
If only there was some way for those trapped souls to move on in peace, but after all this time I do hope they finally moved on, instead of being trapped and earth bound.
tigerfeet (5 stories) (18 posts)
 
1 month ago (2024-07-25)
Thank you RCRuskin for jogging my memory! The film is 'High Spirits' - it's really worth watching 😁
Linjahaha (24 stories) (161 posts)
 
1 month ago (2024-07-25)
tigerfeet: This was extremely fascinating to read about. I agree with lady-glow that this is a residual haunting. The traumatic, unexpected, emotional imprint left behind from that catastrophic event is being replayed when atmospheric conditions are right, or sensitive individuals are present to observe it.
It's very sad, but not frightening, or intimidating. That was an interesting explanation about an A.R.P. Warden. I was wondering about that when I read the title. Thank you, it was a very good read!

Take Care! 😊 😊
Limey (3 stories) (36 posts)
 
1 month ago (2024-07-25)
Hi Tigerfeet; a very interesting story. A long time ago, but have you checked to see if the house is still there? It would be interesting to know if subsequent or current tenants have had the same experience as yours. The clarity of your vision is quite remarkable, since you could identify the naval uniform in the garden below. Usually apparitions tend to be blurry or foggy. Hearing the warden's voice in such close proximity to you is interesting too. Did you notice his accent? Not important, but it may have been identifiable. How and why these replays from the past can occur are also fascinating questions, and ones that will probably not be answered anytime soon.
On a related subject, I have in my possession a smelly old book called Common Sense and A.R.P. It was published in London by His Majesty's Government in 1939, with the expectation of what to expect in the months and years ahead.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (847 posts)
 
1 month ago (2024-07-25)
Tigerfeet, that sounds like a fun movie, so I went to look it up on IMDB. There is a movie called Haunted Honeymoon, but Peter O'Toole is apparently not in it. The plot summary from IMDB:

At the peak of their careers, the brilliant radio actors and Manhattan Mystery Theatre's superstars, Larry Abbot and Vickie Pearle, have finally decided to tie the knot. However, with their marriage just around the corner, inexplicably, Larry is starting to experience noticeable speech impairments and debilitating, on-air panic attacks. Now, under those strange circumstances, what better way to cure poor Larry's problem than by spending a long, lavish weekend on dear Aunt Kate's magnificent castle along with the entire family? The idea is to help overworked Larry relax; however, after an unaccountable disappearance and the blood-curdling sighting of something wicked, this brief vacation could be a cure worse than the disease. Can Larry survive the night and the haunted honeymoon? - Nick Riganas

Still looks interesting to me.

Here is a list of Peter O'Toole's movies https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000564/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0_tt_0_nm_8_in_0_q_Peter%2520O Maybe something will jump out at you since I so much want to see this movie you mentioned.:)
tigerfeet (5 stories) (18 posts)
 
1 month ago (2024-07-24)
I have always assumed it was a residual haunting, especially as the ARP Warden seemed to have no idea that I was there and definitely never acknowledged my presence. I really hope that the family and the Warden have managed to pass over to wherever we go next.

I have often wondered if those involved in residual hauntings are aware of what happens each time we see them, if not aware of us. I think I might have got this idea into my head via Peter O'Toole's film, Haunted Honeymoon (I think that's the title) where he has a castle with what seems to be a residual haunting that happens at the same time every day and is always identical until the ghosts notice the living beings in their room!
RCRuskin (9 stories) (847 posts)
 
1 month ago (2024-07-24)
OK. But you better not delay sharing your second experience! An interesting and tragic experience that seems to be just a recording of a moment in time.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3178 posts)
 
2 months ago (2024-07-24)
All those deaths must have left a lot of trapped emotions in that place.

In my opinion, what you witnessed was a residual haunting. Hopefully the spirits have moved on to the next plane of existence.

Thanks for sharing this interesting story.
Berggraf38 (3 stories) (25 posts)
+1
2 months ago (2024-07-23)
Wow, what an amazing experience, sad as it is.
"The Universe" showed you this scene for some reason, maybe the people who died used your eyes and mind to see it and get some kind of closure.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: